Ontech Building Consultants Inc. is a Building Sciences and Design firm having its head office in the city of Toronto, Ontario. The President & CEO of the firm is Mr. Robert Silano, who incorporated the Company in 2003. Mr. Robert Silano has been actively involved in the consulting building restoration industry since 1989. With our many years of experience we have serviced the condominium industry both Property Managers and Board of Directors alike. The firm’s design work has been largely responsible for both condominium and rental stock residential building portfolios providing expertise in a variety of building restoration and rehabilitation projects.
The firm has been involved in building rehabilitation and restoration projects of many types of structures from traditional to modern building design. We specialize in low and high rise building envelope rehabilitation which includes building roofing, façade/cladding systems such as EIFS (synthetic stucco applications), precast panels, metal clad and window/curtain walls, window & door systems as well as traditional construction of masonry and concrete structures. Please refer to the Appendix for Representative Client/Project List attached hereto.
Our firm (BCIN No. 32716) is also qualified and registered with the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing to provide design activities to the public and carry E & O (Errors and Omissions) insurance for our design activities. We provide project management and contract administration of old, new, rehabilitation or retrofit projects from the initial investigation, design stage through to the project construction/repair supervision and ultimate completion. We provide construction-monitoring services to ensure material quality, workmanship and procedures are maintained with our design specifications and drawings. We offer consulting and diagnostic services to evaluate various building elements, performance and identify problem areas and provide remedial repair measures and cost effective solutions. Our objective is to provide our clients with optimum advice and solutions to resolve as well as restore their building deficiencies. Our philosophy is to build a long term partnership with our clients.
The firm has been involved with preparing performance building audits per Tarion Warranty Corporation given The Ontario New Home Warranties Plan Act and pre-purchase inspections of rental apartment buildings for some of our clients. Our services include the preparation of Reserve Fund Studies, site specific Condition Studies & Assessment Reports which include site observations, intrusive testing if applicable, photographic illustrations, survey drawings along with our conclusions, recommendations and budget cost estimates for a prescribed restoration program.
- The Federation of Rental Housing Providers of Ontario (FRPO) held their annual Marketing, Achievement and Construction (MAC) awards on November 29th 2012. Park Property Management Inc. proudly walked away with a win in Curb Appeal for their property at 283 Bristol Street in Guelph and was also a finalist in the category of Advertising Excellence – Corporate Branding. Our firm prepared and managed the transformation design of this property’s exterior facade which involved a new EIFS (exterior insulated finish system) with moisture managed provisions in the design.
- We joint ventured with FTD Highrise Inspection to fully access and review the condition of the exterior walls of a building located in Cambridge, Ontario using robotic camera inspection equipment as mentioned in an article in the Spring 2014 edition of Condominium Manager Magazine titled “New Trends & Emerging Technologies”.
- Our firm was also recognized in a Newsletter Article – “Brookfield Board Buzz” circulated to condominium board directors and managers for the total refurbishment and restoration of a Mississauga high rise condominium building’s pool & spa facility, parking garage ramp snow melting restoration and replacement of the hot water risers, managed by Brookfield Residential Services.
- Most recently The Globe and Mail published an article on August 27, 2015 entitled “How to get and repair Uno Prii Annex grooviness” by Dave LeBlanc who serves as a juror for the Ontario Association of Architects and Heritage Toronto. This article focused on the successful balcony restoration and railing guard replacement at 100 Spadina Road in Toronto. Ontech acted and consulted as the structural engineers and liaison with ERA Architects along with the Ontario Heritage Authority. Ontech also prepared architectural renderings for presentation purposes while the railing manufacturer prepared mock-up samples to complement the proposed new aluminum and decorative glass panels to mimic the original perforated masonry unit balustrade guards commonly referred to as “Screen Block or Tile”. This allowed us to preserve the look of this 1960s apartment building designed by Uno Prii, Architect. In October of this year, in recognition of this achievement, Park Property Management Inc. was also nominated for the William Greer Architectural Conservation and Craftsmanship category for the Heritage Toronto Awards.
- Most recently in June 2018 received The EIFS Architectural Design Award finalist from the EIFS Council of Canada.